POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle again : Re: Crackle again Server Time
19 Apr 2024 03:48:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle again
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Nov 2022 09:50:00
Message: <web.637f839fc37f1de022cd71f26f35e431@news.povray.org>
> > I was referring to the custom 'standard' crackle that you demonstrated in
> > your post, using the min distance from a seed point to generate the color
> > value.
>
> "My post" ... I make a lot of them, and I don't think I've posted any with
> POV-Ray's native crackle pattern.

Sorry; the previous crackle thread from a couple of days ago, with the custom
version you showed that just colors a point based on distance to the closest
seed point.

This one:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3Cweb.6376dd8c302862a41f9dae3025979125%40news.povray.org%3E

> > The documentation even mentions using a solid crackle with a regular crackle
> > layered over it to generate mortar for the solid cells.
>
> Interesting.   I'll have to look at that - way back in 2013, I used this
> method for making mortar for my Secret Passage scene.

See 3.4.7.2.3 in the online reference help ('Crackle Pattern'). It's only a
brief mention. From your example though, it looks like you're comfortable with
this technique already.

> Also wondering if, with your existing knowledge of how your code works, if
> there was a way to "draw lines" with cylinders around the borders of the
> cells. Something to do with the mesh vertices perhaps....

Hmm that's a thought. It would consist of a large quantity of spheres and/or
cylinders placed around each mesh base, all as a single object pattern. It would
be much slower than using another function texture layer, but it would give an
constant thickness of mortar, which the texture method might not... I'll have to
try this out when I get the chance!

Bill