POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle : Re: Crackle Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:47:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle
From: Chris R
Date: 11 Nov 2022 12:30:00
Message: <web.636e8591302862a47aaec48e5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > I like to use the crackle pattern for creating stone pavers for floors, rough
> > stone walls, etc. I use the pattern to outline the stones in an isosurface, and
> > then apply a texture on it.
> >
> > This all works well if I want the stones to be of a uniform type, but I haven't
> > found an effective way to do this when I want some variations in the types of
> > stones.  I do something similar with brick walls and floors, but since bricks
> > have a regular shape, I can use warp repeats to ensure that individual bricks
> > have a consistent texture, but are randomized between bricks.
> >
> > Has anyone come up with a trick to do something similar with irregular patterns
> > like crackle?  I usually end up using some sort of random pigment pattern with
> > the different textures I want to apply, (see the image below), and then
> > scale/rotate/translate it to match the stones as best I can, but there is always
> > bleeding between them.
> >
> > -- Chris R.
>
> Try using the same crackle, but the with solid modifier as the pigment.
> Use a colour_map containing various orientations of a collection of
> patterns.
> That way, you'll have a texture with a pattern matching that of the
> isosurface.

That's brilliant!  I don't know how I missed that in the documentation, (or
maybe I just never understood what it was trying to say).

What controls the pigment value selected for the cell?  Is it just a random
number, or do proximate cells select from the same value range.  I'm finding the
more variation with smaller ranges in my pigment_map, the less "clumpy" the
cells become, but does it follow the normal ramp_wave or is it just a linear
random number?

-- Chris R.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: