POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Minimum Distance Function : Re: Minimum Distance Function Server Time
23 Apr 2024 07:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minimum Distance Function
From: jceddy
Date: 8 Jul 2022 17:30:00
Message: <web.62c8a0f66fb4e448864166f75d51d79c@news.povray.org>
> Thanks. Is this minimum_distance work the only thing changed in that
> fork - or is there (or will there be) other stuff changed in it too?

There should only be changes in there to support minimum_distance stuff, but
that is also potentially a bunch of general-purpose math stuff, as well.

> In a post following this one you were talking about recognizing the mesh
> object for special handling. It's a shape with its own internal
> bounding. Tracing of rays(a) should be relatively fast with meshes - FWIW.

Yes, I am figuring this all out today. :)

Given that for basically everything other than blob and isosurface there is some
more straightforward way to figure out the minimum distance, it might end up
being that a bunch of the stuff I did for estimating it might not be necessary.

Put a post about it before I realized there were other responses here already.