POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Coffee Mug : Re: Coffee Mug Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:08:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coffee Mug
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Jun 2022 06:30:00
Message: <web.62bd7b052430c20c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:

> Bald Eagle pointed out, there is a much better utility that can do that already.
> I just wanted to learn by doing.

Having never actually used it, I couldn't honestly say it was "better" for any
particular purpose - and I vaguely recall someone posting images showing similar
limitations - or purposefully enhanced flaws to illustrate the mechanism of
bending.

You already have the coordinates for your text, so what if you "skinned" the
glyphs with a ribbon made of smooth triangles.   Then you could just transform
the vertices as the glyph was bent, and it would smoothly follow the outside
edges?

IIRC, you've already used trace () for some of your lettering work, so maybe
that's an option for other objects as well?

Just thinking aloud.