POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps : Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps Server Time
24 Apr 2024 00:53:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Jun 2022 16:20:00
Message: <web.62b0d64018b1901c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> if you have access to the font file.  iiuc, DB's use of a(n intermediate) bitmap
> has the advantage that any text (and not only text shapes) can be used.

Indeed.  But I think it would be possible to implement both, as one is sort of a
subset of the other.

  _and_
> you'd need an external utility to get the ttf data (sacrilege.. :-)).

Sacrilege indeed.   That's why we'd want to do something like convert the
javascript that already does this to SDL.

http://stevehanov.ca/blog/?id=143

> > Might be a little challenging with "forked" glyphs like E, F, K, etc....
>
> could not the same (sphere_sweep) data be used to position/help shape the
> prism(s)?

I was thinking that something like an E would be more than 1 sphere sweep, so
there would have to be some mechanism for determining where the joints/bends
are.
The prisms aren't the problem - that's just a continuous outline, which is easy.
 It's defining the centerline font where it's gets tricky