POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Wood program but still develop : Re: Wood program but still develop Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:51:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood program but still develop
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 May 2022 18:20:00
Message: <web.62802a4e5b6ed241f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:

> > Asymmetric growth ring thickness. (a bent or curved branch will be thick on one
> > side and thin on the other)
>
> Not uniform ring thickness I wonder how to implement. Basically, if it can
> implement in POV-Ray, than it can do in principle. My Java program can output
> some data and it can be numerous like the attachment.

You could just an angle value to multiply the radius or thickness by.
use atan2, and make sure the output of the function varies from 0 to 1 from one
side of the unit circle to the other.  then multioply by some amount of bend and
then add 1, to get a range from 1 to N.

If you know how to do things like geometric inversion, you could use that to
distort the cylinder like a torus is distorted into a Dupin cylide.

There may be other ways as well.