POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : using 'object pattern' as media : Re: using 'object pattern' as media Server Time
18 Apr 2024 16:11:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using 'object pattern' as media
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 Apr 2022 14:15:00
Message: <web.626c2a0dac9c0ae18d86850a6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> This is a neat idea, I assume this could be used to control how media is shaped
> for many purposes (thinking of the struggles I have had with media in the past).

Yes! I have not yet tried using functions for the media distortion, but other
pigment-based patterns do work for that, with the appropriate color_maps or
pigment_maps.

The neat thing about media itself is that any colors or densities of exactly 0.0
(0/255) create holes in the media-- no density. Along with warps or other
distortions, some really interesting and odd 3-D media patterns and colors can
be produced this way... especially in what I call 'solid' media (very high
density.)