POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sailing ship Balclutha : Re: Sailing ship Balclutha Server Time
16 Apr 2024 12:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sailing ship Balclutha
From: Ton
Date: 30 Mar 2022 06:10:00
Message: <web.62442c60beadc5ebad1330e67597fb06@news.povray.org>
> Op 30/03/2022 om 01:01 schreef Ton:
> >>
> >> Good start. How did you model the hull: nurbs?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thomas
> >
> > Bedankt Thomas.
> > I used Blender, and transformed the obj output in mesh2, with normals.
> >

> Indeed, but what I mean: /within/ Blender, how was the hull surface
> modelled? I do not use Blender so I thought maybe it was generated with
> the help of a nurbs tool, which is not available in my Silo package.
>  From my experience, hulls are not very easy to model without it I
> think, or some similar tool.
>
> --
> Thomas

With the help of the hull profile plans I can determine the X, Y, and Z
coordinates of the hull. X is forward-backwards, Y is up-down, and Z is
left-right (or port-starboard). I start with a plane I subdivide when necessary.
In that way I work down the hull. When exporting to obj-file I (well, blender)
triangulates those rectangles. You see the result, quite convincing.
I have mirrored the hull, added the keel, which are povray objects from
roundedge.inc.

Cheers
Ton.

Post a reply to this message