POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Moonlight : Re: Moonlight Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:43:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moonlight
From: Chris R
Date: 24 Mar 2022 14:10:00
Message: <web.623cb39d97e56063cc71334a5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/244922/why-does-moonlight-have-a-lower-color-temperature

> > Here's another little monkey-wrench to throw into the mix: the D65 'white point'
> > of computer monitors and some color standards. That's a 6500-deg Kelvin color
> > temperature, which is meant to match 'daylight'-- meaning, the Sun's light AND
> > the surrounding blue sky. That's more blue-ish than the Sun by itself (which is
> > around 5400 to 5700K?) But does this viewing 'environment' still hold true when
> > trying to create a 'low-light' Moonlit scene in POV-ray (or any other graphics
> > program)? By nature, such a scene should be reproduced very dim and dark to look
> > 'natural'-- compared to a 'Sun-lit' scene. But that's not how we would usually
> > render it, because we want it to look...normal. Meaning, colors and brightnesses
> > rendered from 0 to 1.0 (0 to 255) or thereabouts-- just like a typical scene in
> > 'daylight'. This...discrepancy(?) in how we render low-light scenes and their
> > associated 'color temperatures' seems like an interesting conundrum. Do I have a
> > solution to it? No! (ha). I just thought I would bring it up as a philosophical
> > discussion point. Maybe we should just follow the great artists of the past, and
> > color the Moonlight blue regardless!
>
> So, I'm feeling less bad about my arbitrary adjustments to the moon's light
> color now.  I found a whole slew of information about the eye's dark adaptation
> ability, and what it can do to our perception of color and brightness,
> (specifically the Purkinje effect causing a shift towards blue sensitivity,
> which provides another explanation for our perception of moonlight as blue.)
>
> So, to make my macros look more technically astute, I have just added a "Dark
> Adaptation" color value when computing the color of the moon's light before
> applying the lux value and atmospheric attenuation.  It still means I'm mostly
> just adjusting things until it looks right, but I can pretend there's some math
> and science behind it.  :-)
>
> -- Chris R.

I just posted some renderings of the scene with the moonlight as light sources
in p.b.i:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.623cb1d52227bb25cc71334a5cc1b6e@news.povray.org%3E//povray.