POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Moonlight : Re: Moonlight Server Time
18 Apr 2024 08:43:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moonlight
From: Chris R
Date: 22 Mar 2022 08:20:00
Message: <web.6239bdd497e56063cc71334a5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
> On 2022-03-21 14:41 (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> > On 2022-03-21 10:58 (-4), Chris R wrote:
> >> I am working on a scene that is lit by moonlight coming through a window with
> >> partially open blinds.  I use LightSys, and have set up the light source as an
> >> area light just outside of the window itself.
> >>
> >> I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good color/lumens combinations to
> >> simulate moonlight.  I am currently using a made-up color of <0.45, 0.5, 0.75>
> >> and an intensity of 1.0 with no fading, (so I guess I'm not really using
> >> LightSys to great effect here).  Has anyone done any spectrum analysis for
> >> moonlight to suggest better values?
> >
> > Lumens is not what you want for moonlight; this is a measure of the
> > total amount of light emitted (or reflected, in this case).  Lux is the
> > proper unit for a light source that is effectively at infinity.
> >
> > Wikipedia says 0.05 to 0.3 lux.  That's quite a range!
> >
> > To get a narrower precision, a preliminary calculation is:
> > [snip]
>
> I just noticed that nowhere in your OP did you mention that the Moon is
> full.  Please keep in mind that my reply, as well as the Wikipedia
> figures, are for a full Moon.

Yes, I am using a full moon for this scene.  I have added a visible element for
the moon, but none of the views I have been working on for the scene actually
make it visible, so the texture of the moon object itself is not as important.
I am mostly looking to get the right color/intensity for the light source.

I am pretty sure LightSys does not have anything that converts lux to
light_source color, so I'll have to look into that.

-- Chris R.