POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A quick povr branch micro normal image. : Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image. Server Time
23 Apr 2024 20:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image.
From: jr
Date: 18 Mar 2022 03:00:00
Message: <web.62342ccec1365d06fc0c8de6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 3/17/22 11:19, jr wrote:
> > Degenerate cylinder, base point = apex point.
> > Fatal error in parser: Uncategorized error.
> > Render failed
>
> The three lines above come from a test during parsing while additional
> internal data for the cone/cylinder is being done using a function
> within cone.cpp. The tests is finding that the base and apex are <1e-10
> (a) apart - and throwing an error rather than issuing a parse error via
> message(b). The same code exists in POV-Ray proper v3.7 onward and povr
> (c).
>
> (a) - The cone code hasn't been reworked as yet in povr to remove
> 'EPSILON' use. The test value there should be ~4.4e-8 or povr's
> gkMinIsectDepthReturned. FWIW.
>
> (b) - The particular test could be done completely inside the parser I
> think. Not sure why it's done in the cone/cylinder shape code.
> The puzzle for me at the moment is I have no idea why those parsed base
> and apex vectors would be different between any versions of POV-Ray.

thank you v much.  the thing I don't understand is why, when every increment is
a whole unit, we'd get into a situation where (the value of) Epsilon would
matter.  and while the above reasoning does make sense, I can't shake the
feeling that, underneath, it's a dictionary "thing"/problem.

regards, jr.