POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : VSCode Extension - Render Error Output : Re: VSCode Extension - Render Error Output Server Time
17 Apr 2024 23:08:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VSCode Extension - Render Error Output
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 11 Mar 2022 19:50:00
Message: <web.622bec408de14cd8afe6ae3e89db30a9@news.povray.org>

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=virtual-whirlwind.vscode-povray2
> > https://github.com/VirtualWhirlwind/vscode-povray2
> >
> > While using it on Windows, I've noticed that when there is a scene/syntax issue,
> > I need
> > to open the regular POV-Ray editor to run the file as the command line rendering
> > doesn't give the error message. Is there a 3.7 command line switch/parameter
> > that would put the render errors back to the console that I could capture and
> > show in the VSCode interface?
>
> A very long time ago I used MicroEmacs in MS DOS v6.22. And then I was able to
> make MicroEmacs gather the error messages from the console (when compiling) and
> show them in a separate window (IIRC). So I guess that it is still possible in
> Windows.
>
> In Linux/Unix POV-Ray writes to stderr (and perhaps stdout). You can read more
> about redirecting in BASH here:
> https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-3.html
>
> NB - What is written here:
> https://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_2.html
> - indicates that one should be able to write something like this:
>
> cat test.pov | povray +I-
>
> I have tested this in BASH with the POV-Ray available in Ubuntu (20.04 ?), but
> unfortunately it does not work.
>
> Also see the comment from c-lipka here:
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/35

I know almost nothing about VS Code, but I have a suspicion that Yong Wang's
answer here is relevant:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43007267/how-to-run-a-system-command-from-vscode-extension

It seems to me that his code is dealing with what the executed shell command
outputs to stdout or (and ?) stderr.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com