POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ulam Spiral fun : Re: Ulam Spiral fun Server Time
16 Apr 2024 09:34:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ulam Spiral fun
From: jr
Date: 7 Mar 2022 18:55:00
Message: <web.62269aa88a870000ed36e5cb6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

had a minor epiphany :-) a few days back, realised that the TOA demo provided
already the moving and turning stuff needed for the Ulam Spiral.  so spent some
"happy hours" gutting the TOA code and from it making "USaF", the Ulam Spiral
(animation) Fun ;-).

attached is the source for the animation posted in p.b.a, a few notes:

- the CSV file included is for the first 4096 numbers, the same length as the
Hilbert Curve still image, though the ini file stops short of that.

- the AA settings in the ini are not v good to keep the rendering .. speedy.

- like the 'Filed()' demo, I direct all output to a scratch directory, you'll
need to adapt the paths in two places, the last line of the ini, and line 63 in
the scene (sorry about it it not being nearer the top, need to load lookup data
in CWD first).

- both verbose and logging can be enabled/disabled to suit.  the log could be
used to render intermediate frames to make for graceful "gliding" and turning.
:-)

and finally, I ask for a "helping hand".  I would like the camera to slowly pull
back and change both location + look_at during the animation, the aim being to
run the spiral to the same length as RMcG.

Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Our brains are extremely good at finding patterns. Even TO good at it.
> It can, and do, find patterns even in places where there are no patterns
> at all.

so agree, and both fortunate and not.  good, I think, for all the cognitive +
tool-making-drive etc advantage, bad because it leaves us susceptible to
conditioning + propaganda and such.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: