POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Friday Afternoon Doodle : Re: Friday Afternoon Doodle Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Friday Afternoon Doodle
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Mar 2022 06:00:00
Message: <web.6225e45c15dda32b4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:

> So I've been playing around with shapes extruded along one of the axes, by
> changing the rounding parameter and the scaling parameters on the other two
> axes, as well as translating the center of the rounded box along those two other
> axes in various ways, including linear interpolation, spline interpolation, and
> various other functions.
>
> This is the one where the scale decreases linearly from bottom to top, the
> rounding factor decreases linearly from bottom to top, and the x and z centers
> of the box are translated using sin(y*2*pi/height) and cos(y*2*pi/height).

That's a nice result, and a clever use of functions. And gold colors! I assume
that this is just one function-object, not a 'combination' of several function
shapes?

I experimented with function-based isosurfaces years ago, but have forgotten
some of the finer points, like how to 'taper' an object (like you did in y.) But
I happened to be playing around with this same kind of technique this week! I
can make a nice sine-wave shape, but what is the trick for getting the shape to
taper or scale so nicely? IIRC, it is something relatively simple-- but I
can't remember what :-(