POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : isosurface functions : isosurface functions Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:58:41 EDT (-0400)
  isosurface functions
From: Chris R
Date: 3 Mar 2022 10:10:00
Message: <web.6220d96b1d4724b2d6fc33af5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
For some recent modeling work, I have had a need to create various objects based
on cylinder-based shapes, varying the radius of the cylinder based on the
y-axis.

Examples:
sqrt(x*x+z*z) - Radius // cylinder
sqrt(x*x+z*z) - Radius*y/Height // inverted cone

These seem to render as isosurfaces pretty consistently without high
max_gradients or the need for high accuracy.

However:
sqrt(x*x+z*z) - Radius*(pow(y/Height,2)) // quadratic
or
sqrt(x*x+z*z) - Radius*sqrt(y/Height)

is causing the object to look semi-transparent, allowing light to pass through
it in an almost even distribution.

In a fit of frustration, after trying very high accuracy and max_gradient
values, I tried

sqrt(x*x+z*z) - Radius*sin(0.5*pi*y/Height)

and the object looks completely solid.

So, I'm wondering what in the isosurface code could cause this difference?

-- Chris R.