POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray still alive? : Re: POV-Ray still alive? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:48:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray still alive?
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 26 Feb 2022 05:40:00
Message: <web.621a02e445c430be7283012224d82e4@news.povray.org>
> On 2/24/22 18:33, Bruno Cabasson wrote:
> > Hi there. Long time no see. As far I can see, development has stalled since aug
> > 2021. Can someone update me briefly ? Is Christoph (Lipka) still with us ?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Bruno.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I see POV-Ray as 'alive' so long as people use it and are creating new
> code for 'this and that'.
>
> As for official v3.7/v3.8/v4.0 support and development, I see what you
> see. It's been quiet since mid 2021.
>
> Aside: I found myself using your elliptic_torus code again last fall! :-)
>
> Bill P.

Thanks for the update! But what about Christoph? Glad you use some of my code,
though I absolutely do not remember what it is about !!! Lol!

I was wondering about POV's health and about Christoph because I recently find
myself with some fee time. I decided to get back to POVing, just like that. And
I saw the situation.

HOWEVER, and despite that situation, the dictionary container gave me the idea
that it could be possible to imagine using them for classes, instances and some
fundamental Object Oriented features. I think that if it happens to be feasible
and if it happens to be usable without syntactic over-complexity or
non-readabiliy, I could be open the object-orientedness for POV-Sdl. It could
help for complex scenes, animation, whatever an object-oriented language is
handy (or necessary).

So, I had it a try.

AND I reached something quite fine (though it is just a Proof Of Concept until
now)...
I could implement :
    classes,
    instances,
    properties,
    methods,
    inheritance,
    overloading for contructors and methods,
    named parameters,
    new(), super(), instanceof() operators,
    type-ckecking,
    templates,
    and a few other minor OO features.

Do you think it could be interesting for the POV community ? For fun, I named it
PROOF (Pov Ray Object Oriented Features).

Bruno