POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I cannot update my GitHub repo : Re: I cannot update my GitHub repo Server Time
18 Apr 2024 08:51:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I cannot update my GitHub repo
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 15 Feb 2022 17:55:00
Message: <web.620c2e2ecfbdaf8660e0cc3d949c357d@news.povray.org>
Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 2/15/2022 4:43 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>
> > ricky@localhost:~/Documents/POV-Ray/oc_devl/AndroidRobot> git pull origin main
> >  From github.com:CousinRicky/POV-AndroidRobot
> >   * branch            main       -> FETCH_HEAD
> > Already up to date.
> > ricky@localhost:~/Documents/POV-Ray/oc_devl/AndroidRobot> git push origin main
> > To github.com:CousinRicky/POV-AndroidRobot.git
> >   ! [rejected]        main -> main (non-fast-forward)
> > error: failed to push some refs to 'github.com:CousinRicky/POV-AndroidRobot.git'
>
> Try just "git pull" and "git push".
> Also what does "git status" have to say?
>
> dik

----------[BEGIN TERMINAL SESSION]----------
ricky@localhost:~/Documents/POV-Ray/oc_devl/AndroidRobot> git pull
You are not currently on a branch.
Please specify which branch you want to merge with.
See git-pull(1) for details.

    git pull <remote> <branch>

ricky@localhost:~/Documents/POV-Ray/oc_devl/AndroidRobot> git status
HEAD detached from 638e732
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git restore <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
        modified:   README.md

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
        .gitignore
        README.md~
        androidrobot-36.png
        androidrobot.pre-4.0.css
        androidrobot_head-36.png
        androidrobot_head-norad.jpg
        androidrobot_posed-36.png
        androidrobot_posed-norad.jpg
        droid-comments.txt
        droid.gif
        session.txt

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
ricky@localhost:~/Documents/POV-Ray/oc_devl/AndroidRobot> ls -l README.md
-rw-r--r-- 1 ricky users 538 Feb  6 16:32 README.md
-----------[END TERMINAL SESSION]-----------

Since the git pull didn't work, I didn't bother with the push.

I do not understand what's going on with README.md.  I updated this file back in
late October, and this is what I tried to push.  But now, the git status says
that the file's commit somehow became undone, and the datestamp is today!

Weirder still is that the backup file README.md~ still exists; it should have
been deleted a long time ago by my regular cleanups.  It also has today's
datestamp.

It gets weirder.  When I look at README.md in Git-Cola, it shows the version
from before even the backup file!