POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A quick povr branch micro normal image. : Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:45:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A quick povr branch micro normal image.
From: jr
Date: 25 Jan 2022 03:40:00
Message: <web.61efb6b5c1365d06ea8869266cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 1/24/22 07:36, jr wrote:
> > no, thank you.  I was sure I'd grep'd the documentation, evidently not.  </sigh>
> Grepping now I see amplify mentioned some in revisions_povr.txt and
> pretty sure I added notes about it in a posting or two as well.

yeah, my memory..  :-(

> > ..."#version unofficial 3.8;" ...
>
> Yeah, it's unfortunately a bit of mess since v3.7. One which clipka
> tried variously to somewhat address.
>
> Writing from memory from earlier last year or late 2020... The
> versioning stuff is something in an awkward state and I have no idea how
> to really fix it.
>
> Ignoring that there was a more complex versioning proposal part of
> uberpov, it was supposed to be we could write something like:
>
> #version unofficial povr 3.8;
>
> where the 'unofficial' keyword would STOP folks running a scene targeted
> for some particular unofficial release in an official release of POV-Ray.
>
> I have no idea why unofficial is not itself documented. It's been there
> a long time. Maybe because there was a worry folks would add it to
> regular POV-Ray scenes or something... I think it should be documented.

if asked, and if written as above, I'd suggest introducing 'unofficial' as a new
built-in variable which only exists if the keyword was used.  it could contain
the id string, allowing something like:

#if (defined(global.unofficial))
  #if (!strcmp(unofficial,"povr"))
  #end
#else
#end

aside - 'povr' emits a warning when I use unofficial, the 'beta.2' simply
ignores it :-).

> >> ... the -win id thing ...
>
> Eh, I don't know. Pretty much all of the pfm rtr frame snap shot
> capability and actual cycle control was done with a -win capability in
> mind. The work just got dropped along with everything else.

have only used the snapshot setting a couple of times, to try.  found that
'convert' works just fine, no need for the "i version" ('file' too recognises
them).

I am hoping that your (+ JG's) work on the X window handling, and the "-win
thing" perhaps, will appear in POV-Ray proper (and before the heat-death of the
universe, ideally :-)  is anyone working on 'beta.3'?).

> Unfortunately it's really painful once you are out of the coding
> "groove" to get back in it. What was I thinking months back? Where did I
> put those files? Oh yeah! They're in that jr_causing_trouble directory.
> :-)

</grin>  (must weigh Gigabytes, by now ;-))

regards, jr.