POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Celtic knots : Re: Celtic knots Server Time
17 Apr 2024 21:44:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Celtic knots
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Jan 2022 18:05:00
Message: <web.61dcbb2b9e179f661f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Mediat" <med### [at] hotmailfr> wrote:
> Hi Bald
>
> I couldn't resist;-)
>
> Best regards
>
> Philippe

Nice.
I did a search, figuring that someone had covered this topic before.   The only
thing I found was a post from Mike Williams 20 years ago.    Then there's the
usual KnotPlot, etc that export to POV-Ray.

Now, with regard to interest, keep in mind that you're currently in a
microscopic corner of the internet here, and you might try showing off your
renders in some other venues, especially if there are sites where people would
have a _specific_ interest in celtic knotwork.

I've laid out a few of these by hand, and the usual method employs some gridwork
and "walls" to break up the plait.  Thinking about it from that aspect, it would
be like a maze-solving algorithm.

Also, folks interesting in generating custom celtic knotwork would likely want
to print the result out in the more typical 2D B&W format with the
over-and-under effect represented by simple whitespace.  I guess an orthographic
camera and a flat black cylinder on a white background would accomplish that.

- BW