POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : GPU / RTX support for Povray : Re: GPU / RTX support for Povray Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU / RTX support for Povray
From: yesbird
Date: 7 Jan 2022 06:40:00
Message: <web.61d8245e8a465568ded9818410800fb2@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> The main problem here is that POV-Ray is primitive based, NOT mesh based.
> GPU rendering is heavily mesh optimized. They can process in parallel,
> but only if all threads need to use the same base code. With POV-Ray,
> there is no universal geometry handling code : Each and every primitive
> require different code and GPU just can't cope with that requirement.

Hi,

this is my first post here, so I would like to say thanks for the great renderer
I am familiar with since last century (about  1993). Now I am back to it and
glad to discover a lot of new features and improvements.

As to rendering CSG-based scenes on GPU, I found two interesting papers that
would like to share with you:

https://www.scitepress.org/papers/2017/61364/61364.pdf
http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1576/090.pdf