POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adam Savage's One Day Builds: Rhombic Dodecahedron with Matt Parker : Re: Adam Savage's One Day Builds: Rhombic Dodecahedron with Matt Parker Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:53:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adam Savage's One Day Builds: Rhombic Dodecahedron with Matt Parker
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Jan 2022 06:35:00
Message: <web.61d2de3bc5807ed1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> This is more tricky than it seems at first glance. very well done indeed.
>
> --
> Thomas

Oh my, really?

I thought it was going to be one of those tedious "now I need to look up a table
of vertex coordinates...", but when searching the topic, I found someone had
already done this in blender, and then a reddit thread had the helpful comment
that the coordinates were just a cube, with points at the face centers "puffed
out" by 1/2.

Got that done, made my triangles, ran into a laptop/qtpovray render window
issue, outlined the edges with cylinders, got half the triangle normals wrong,
fixed those, and then just made the cylinders emissive.

So like most things, it took longer than I wanted it to, but it was easier than
I first thought.

The animation of the cube/RD space filling on Wikipedia is pretty cool, and I'm
thinking there ought to be a way to space fill a half plane with these and have
them all indexable by <x, y, z> of the centers, and be able to randomly color or
color by pattern values....   almost like the unit cube centers of crackle.