POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stone with Veins : Re: Stone with Veins Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stone with Veins
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 25 Dec 2021 14:30:00
Message: <web.61c77006c205c2d42636f1af607c1b34@news.povray.org>
> The veins could use some width variations over their length.

Oh you caught me being lazy! The variable width feature will be easy to add and
I agree that it's necessary. Thanks for the kind words and suggestion! You're
under-rating Granite_21 though because the color distribution is excellent and
the surface has exactly the right bumpiness, which I know required amazing
knowledge and skill to produce.

By the way, I must confess that by brightening one of the color entries
(actually color pairs), I was expecting to get brightly-colored flakes without
affecting the other layers - the actual result was quite a surprise. Depending
on which color pair one chooses to brighten, the brightness factor may need to
be quite high if that particular color happens to be buried under several other
layers. There's lots of room for improvement!

Sorry for the messy state of the source code. One thing to note is that render
time can be improved by reducing the number of layers. The reason I set it so
high is that when I used a bright green base layer (<.7, 1, 0>) as a test, it
still showed through a little even with 100 layers.

Warmest regards,
Dave Blandston