POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Persistent variables across an animation run : Re: Persistent variables across an animation run Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:39:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Persistent variables across an animation run
From: jr
Date: 15 Dec 2021 13:10:00
Message: <web.61ba2e87a8365710ea8869266cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

Alessio Sangalli <man### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 14-Dec-21 23:41, jr wrote:
> > v3.8 will get you dictionaries, ...
>
> Oh, interesting, now the stupid follow-up question, where can I read the
> new stuff planned for the next version, 3.8 in this case?

I so wish I knew.  a few months back a core developer ('clipka') resurfaced --
briefly -- to gift us the first two betas.  nothing since early August.  see
<https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tags>.

> >> Even the possibility to read files line by line would be useful.
> >
> > have a look at 'Filed()', ...
>
> Interesting, I had a look at the code; questions:
>
> 1) what license is your macro package released as? Just to confirm, as I
> have not seen anything, that is public domain (but yet, you put a
> copyright notice on the HTML page, so I wanted to check)

my copyright + license stuff is always at the  bottom of .inc + .html files.  I
use the GNU GPL v3+, out of ignorance mostly.  please feel free to do with the
code as you please.  :-)

> 2) I haven't used 3.8's dictionaries of course, but are you saying that
> there is no SDL native support for #fwrite/#fread for dictionary types?

correct, read + write only deal with float, vector, and string types.  (you can
write binary ints, but not read them back).
<https://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:File_I/O_Directives>

regards, jr.