POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Floors, rails, stairs and roofs, tweaks : Re: Floors, rails, stairs and roofs, tweaks Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floors, rails, stairs and roofs, tweaks
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 Dec 2021 05:50:00
Message: <web.61b9c7f9a457077d22cd71f26f35e431@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Eyecandy!
> I would be interested in your radiosity settings and render times, maybe even in
> some kind of tutorial? Because the geometry looks challenging to that regard.

I use UberPOV almost exclusively these days, which has an unbiased radiosity
algorithm. This is a more brute-force approach to global illumination, but I
find it produces much better results at lower counts than regular radiosity - no
patchy artifacts, and no need for fine-tuning. The tradeoff is noisiness in
unlit areas, which can be much reduced by cranking up the count for final
renders. I've never been able to completely beat the dreaded radiosity artifacts
for regular radiosity except under the most ideal conditions.

UberPOV was originally a blue-sky testbed for new features, but is somewhat
stalled at present. This means it's stuck on v3.7.0, and I miss out on the newer
features in v3.8+. However, I'm told there are plans to incorporate this
radiosity algorithm in base POV-Ray eventually...

This image rendered in about 20-30 minutes on a 2012 dual-core laptop (I don't
have the exact time to hand!)

Bill