POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Creating soft shadows : Re: Creating soft shadows Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:45:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating soft shadows
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Nov 2021 10:25:00
Message: <web.61a39f02c6a4be141f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"TheRealMorris" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I've been playing around with some top-down scenes using an orthographic camera
> and one of the things I've tried to achieve, are what I would call "soft
> shadows". I've played around with multiple light sources, area lights, etc. but
> no matter what I've done, my shadows look rather really hard; area lights seem
> to help but the resulting shadow is devoid of any depth and just a bland shade
> of gray with almost constant coloring.

Without seeing your render, knowing the type and placement of objects in your
scene, or knowing what your lighting, camera, and default block setting are,
it's hard to really suggest anything useful.
Maybe provide a small sample scene?

> The effect I'm trying to achieve is something like the image attached.

Is that - a cylinder or something?
(It's hard for me to tell)

I'd suggest that you use a sky_sphere to provide more overall ambient
illumination, maybe an area light to create penumbral shadows, and depending on
the exact effect you're trying to achieve, you might experiment with transmit,
no_object, and no_shadow keywords to create an invisible surrogate object to
filter the light rather than cast a hard shadow.