POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Floors, rails, stairs and roofs : Re: Floors, rails, stairs and roofs Server Time
18 Apr 2024 03:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floors, rails, stairs and roofs
From: Samuel B
Date: 10 Nov 2021 16:40:00
Message: <web.618c3bf625350355cb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
> Been doodling.
>
> I'm not even sure if I had anything specific in mind when I started this, it was
> a what-if situation that sort of ran away with itself. It's only partially
> parametrized, so not yet something that could easily be deployed into a more
> coherent scene.
>
> It's basically a field of cells with some simple rules governing each cell's
> contents, initial placement based on arbitrary geometry. I'd say at least half
> the code is concerned with the stairs. It could be adapted to make balconies,
> galleries or battlements for buildings... another half-finished tool for the
> toolbox :)

This is great, Bill. I love these sorts of things.

Are you familiar with the so-called "wave function collapse" algorithm? It can
produce similar results to this, but must be run for many cycles. Probably too
expensive to do in POV-Ray, but you never know. I haven't looked into WFC too
closely make an implementation yet, but it looks very promising.

Are the pathways here completely traversable, or are there islands?

Sam