POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fluorapophyllite-(K) : Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K) Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:10:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K)
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Oct 2021 06:50:00
Message: <web.617bd1d34f1e127b1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> > [Aside] in a very distant past, my wife did a study on fluid inclusions
> > in quartz crystals from Greece. She could, by cooling the crystals in
> > liquid nitrogen and then slow heating, determine the original
> > temperature of the liquid in which the crystal grew. Original pressure
> > was somehow derived from other factors. I forgot. [/Aside]
>
> Crazy! I haven't a clue how those environmental factors could possibly be sussed
> out.

I would imagine that it might have something to do with the phase diagram of the
material.  Freeze the material so that it's solid, and then do a melting-point
test by the usual slow heating.  Maybe there's some specialized
pressure-temperature nomograph that's been developed for this type of thing...