POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Filed() macro for CSV data file handling : Re: Filed() macro for CSV data file handling Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:49:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filed() macro for CSV data file handling
From: jr
Date: 28 Oct 2021 03:05:00
Message: <web.617a4af520122b7c527292826cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 10/26/21 9:57 AM, jr wrote:
> > with 100k sphere centre and radius records for instance, POV-Ray needs around
> > one second for the writing and the same for the read back.  Filed() comes in at
> > around eight seconds write and ten seconds read.
> >

> I'm a little surprised at the magnitude of the slow down. Are you timing
> with a v3.8 beta or something else? I'm expecting the files are all on a
> ramdisk?

the reading did not surprise much, every item returned is "handled" three times,
but the (lack of) write performance I do not understand.

> Thinking aloud...
>
> If a povr branch, ...

ah, no, "stock" alpha.9945627.  fyi (snipped the context below), all POV-Rays
and povr etc built with '-O2'.

> I'd be willing to play a little with your 100K spheres case - if you
> want?

thanks, sure.  have attached a reader and writer scene.  for the writer can use
'declare=N=number' to create number records, for both scenes can use
'declare=FM=true' to use Filed() instead of "raw" directives.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'wfp_filed.tar.xz.dat' (1 KB)