POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images. : Re: Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:57:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images.
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Oct 2021 16:45:00
Message: <web.615f53ee7866d2dc4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
> On 10/7/21 4:09 AM, Kenneth wrote:

> > Assume that I have turned both of these off:
> > preview display OFF
> > output file OFF
> >
> > In POV-ray's GUI, I have to choose *some* particular render resolution
> > (which gets chosen from my 'quickres.ini' file) to run a scene-- even
> > though there is now NO image output and NO preview. But I discovered
> > that the res I pick *does* affect the fps speed of the looping animation.
> > Running my 'bare' test scene with
> > 8 cores/16 threads, this is what happens:
> > At 160X120 res:   90fps (!)
> > At 1280X960 res:  9.5fps

Oops; I was getting tired and brain-drained last night. Those stats are for my
'typical' scene. The 'bare' cameras-only scene produced these:
At 160X120 res: 900fps (!!!)
At 1280X960 res: 9.9fps

> The only sure thing I see is slowing down the frame rate helps with the
> memory bubble.

I was beginning to see that result as well, but could not definitely say yea or
nay.

> Aside: I believe the entire reason the real time / continuous render
> options were created was to show off multiple core / hyper threaded
> CPUs. IIRC Thorsten and Chris did it in a hurry and it's more or less
> been in that demo state since.

And it's still a great feature that I love to use.