POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images. : Re: Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images. Server Time
23 Apr 2024 23:39:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images.
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Oct 2021 04:10:00
Message: <web.615eaac87866d2dc4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I ran a series of thread tests, with the preview display OFF, and got some
> interesting and mysterious results.

Well, I'm getting some screwy results now. Just when I thought that my previous
tests were 'definitive' (more or less), some *new* and mysterious behavior
arises.

I just ran one of my 'typical' older (v3.8) scenes that I had already set up for
kla/rtr, with an almost identical #while-loop camera like my 'bare' test, and
with image_maps, objects, lights, etc. And I used all 8 cores/16 threads of my
machine, AND turned the preview display ON...

....And that scene runs with NO increase in memory, loop after loop! I don't get
it. I feel like I'm comparing bananas to footballs, with no logical basis for my
tests. :-<  If anything, *that* scene should trigger the increase in memory, not
my 'bare' scene.

Here's *another* screwy thing (which may be Windows-specific?):
Assume that I have turned both of these off:
preview display OFF
output file OFF

In POV-ray's GUI, I have to choose *some* particular render resolution (which
gets chosen from my 'quickres.ini' file) to run a scene-- even though there is
now NO image output and NO preview. But I discovered that the res I pick *does*
affect the fps speed of the looping animation. Running my 'bare' test scene with
8 cores/16 threads, this is what happens:
At 160X120 res:   90fps (!)
At 1280X960 res:  9.5fps

I didn't realize this earlier. And I have not yet determined if this ghostly
change-of-res (AND fps rate) affects how the memory use increases...or does not
increase.

Madness!