POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images. : Re: Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:44:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another v4.0 rtr/kla concern. Memory bubble with large HDRI images.
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Oct 2021 17:45:00
Message: <web.615cc6d67866d2dc4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
> With some of the recent posts on environmental HDRI image use, I played
> today in the povr branch with .hdr and .exr 4k x 2k images. First,
> viewing them via rtr/kla...
>
> The frame rates are surprisingly good even on my little i3 rotating HDRI
> images full circle. In fact for small windows it's quick - for a while...
>
> It looks like large amounts of memory are allocated to back the large
> HDRI images and that memory (or a substantial part of it) is freed at
> the end of each 'frame.'

[in Windows]
Confirmed in v3.8.0 beta 1 (v3.7.0 can't use this feature, otherwise I would
have tested it there too.)

While trying to track down where the memory increase might be coming from, I
instead wrote a *bare* test scene-- with nothing but the changing cameras! Yet
the memory-use still increases.

Try running just this scene in your povr branch to see what happens:
 -----
#version 3.8;
global_settings{assumed_gamma 1.0}

// MULTIPLE CAMERAS:
#declare CK = 0;

#while(CK <= 1.0)
camera {
  perspective
  location  <0, 25, 40>
  look_at   <0,0,0>
  right     x*image_width/image_height
  angle 67 // 67
  rotate 360*CK*y
}
#declare CK = CK + .05;
#end
 -----

[But WARNING: On my i7 8-core machine, this runs SO fast that the 'stop' button
doesn't reliably work; I had to shut down POV-ray instead. OR, what also works
for me: Hit 'pause'-- which does pause the looping animation temporarily-- then
hit 'stop'. The looping still proceeds x-number of times before coming to a
final halt-- but the memory use starts to slowly *decrease* while that happens.
That's interesting by itself.]

My own 'working hypothesis' at the moment is that ALL of a scene's code and
elements are being duplicated for each 'new' loop, not just any image_maps...
and that each loop's 'new' memory use adds to the previous total.