POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined castle : Re: Ruined castle Server Time
16 Apr 2024 10:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined castle
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Oct 2021 19:25:00
Message: <web.615b8cf03aa08f601f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> Filling space with irregularly-shaped bricks or stones is a non-trivial problem,
> one I've often thought about but never seriously attempted! However, discrete
> layers of different brick sizes would be feasible without effort (if
> architecturally realistic!).

I think that trying to fit existing stones into a wall is the REALLY hard part,
but I think there has to be:

1. a way to make a pseudo-mathematical texture like crackle/Voronoi

2. a way to generate pieces to fit into a given empty space.
Maybe a way to loop through y values and combine that with a crossing number
algorithm to find the edges of the already filled space as a place to start
making a new block.

Maybe add each new block to a union {} in an inc file written to for each frame
of an animation.  Then the crossing number gets calculated for a horizontal line
at the present y-value and the whole union of blocks....

Not saying this is "simple", just less complex than some of the other things
we've discussed here in the past.