POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Mysterious function argument : Re: Mysterious function argument Server Time
24 Apr 2024 07:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysterious function argument
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Sep 2021 18:30:00
Message: <web.61563a193ec630371f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> Aside: I've been playing with other stuff most of the day, but
> we have too that function { pattern {} } mode where you don't - cannot -
> specify an argument list for the function. In that case I expect all the
> values are whatever was passed to 'pattern' for x|u,y|v,z. Should verify
> u and v set to x and y I guess, but expect that the case.

Ah, yeah.
I've had to wrangle a lot with those too.
I'm forever trying to do things like:
#declare F0 = function {pattern {bozo}}

and then do something like F0 (x+1, y/2, z)

or F0 = function {pattern {bozo} / <2, 1, 1>}

Functions are certainly challenging in the current implementation.  It takes a
while to get used to what you can and cannot do, and there are a lot of "tricks"
to getting the syntax and expressions worked out to accomplish what one wants.