POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bits_Per_Color of rendered image-- wrong bit-depth reported : Re: Bits_Per_Color of rendered image-- wrong bit-depth reported Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:39:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bits_Per_Color of rendered image-- wrong bit-depth reported
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Sep 2021 03:15:00
Message: <web.61516e5b1680b35a4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> The png container is the one to blame.
> Nobody wants to handle partial byte shifts, so in colour mode (2 & 6
> color type), it is either 8 or 16 bits per colour channel.

Aha! So the fault is not with POV-ray (my mistake, mea culpa), but with the .png
container itself. A strange situation, that.

> See :
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55978230/how-to-query-the-bit-depth-of-a-png

Egads, the code example there looks mighty complex (to me!)

I find it surprising that in the Year 2021, the powers-that-be who created the
..png format have not yet made a simple little tool or app-- maybe for Windows
:-) -- that would allow us to easily query the true bit-depth of a created
image. I wonder why? It's such a commonly-used format, with many different uses.

> The PPM format is more respectful of pixel depth...

I've never rendered with that; I thought it was specifically for the Unix
platform, but I've never researched it. I see in the docs that POV-ray can both
render that file type and use it for height_fields.