POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granite_21 - the final macro : Re: Granite_21 - the final macro Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:07:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 - the final macro
From: Samuel B
Date: 23 Sep 2021 19:45:00
Message: <web.614d1063b21f010ccb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > (...) my inability to parse mathematical formulas due to only being self-taught
(...)

> I'm mostly self-taught as well.  Let me know what you need to know, and I'm
> always happy to try to explain.

I might just take you up on that. I know the rules of PEMDAS, and I know
functions and their usages in programming languages, but when I see formulas on
Wikipedia or elsewhere I see many symbols representing unfamiliar equations. I
know it's only a matter of searching and finding, but I'm certain these things
are more easily grokked by the formally-trained.

> > I'm intrigued by that. What sorts of special properties does Nickle(II) oxide
> > possess, I wonder?
>
> "Exploring the interplay between electronic doping, magnetism, and Ni diffusion
> in NiO from first principles."
>
> NiO and NiO solid solutions are typically the first passivating oxides to form
> during the corrosion of Ni-rich alloys. Ni diffusion from the alloy interface,
> through the oxide, to the exposed surface is the rate-limiting kinetic process
> for continued oxidation. From first principles, we calculate the effects of
> magnetic order and electronic doping on the minimum energy diffusion pathways.
> We elucidate the origin of the diffusion barrier dependencies by assessing
> changes in the defect states and chemical bonding along the diffusion paths. Our
> work highlights the complexity of diffusion in even structural simply but
> strongly correlated oxides with practical recommendations for corrosion
> resistance that may be transferable to diffusion-mediated redox processes in
> energy storage materials.

Not sure what this means, but am I jumping to conclusions by thinking this means
NiO-rich alloys corrode more easily from the 'sides'? Similar to how a
stratified bedrock can be more easily penetrated by weathering forces attacking
between its layers?

> > FFT=fast Fourier transform? What have you been using it for? (Sorry for being
> > out of the loop, haha.)

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C58bfe702%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.58bd5ea376ca50b7c437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=4357
11
> &toff=550
>
> I haven't had much of a chance to really use it for anything.
> It was suggested that I might be able to use it for my gear tooth counting
> project:
>
> http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C59371017%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C593bd19f%40news.povray.org%3E/

Very interesting!

After reading that I was trying to figure out a better way to count gear teeth,
but was drawing a blank. Somebody in one of those threads mentioned (to heavily
paraphrase) performing a polar-to-cartesian transformation on an image of a gear
and evaluating that (probably by tracing rays horizontally and incrementing a
counter). I wonder how that would work out?

And I think you mentioned possibly using an FFT to approximate 3D geometry using
isosurfaces. I do believe there is some potential there.

> > And I'd hate to bother him to pick his brain, but I do know some people like to
> > talk. Heck, maybe the creator of KrystalShaper would be willing to share the
> > code he used to convert HKL indices to planes.
>
> They are supported by millions of our tax dollars.  If he wants to answer your
> email, he will.  If he doesn't, then you made a reasonable request, and you can
> try elsewhere.  And really, he seemed very cool and happy to talk about his
> research, and explain some of the basics that I was ignorant of.  Politely
> asking for some expert assistance with one thing isn't really "bothering."

I heard that many researchers are willing to share their research. In fact, it's
been said if you can't find a paper for free on sci-hub, then maybe you should
contact the author(s) directly. I love the fact that people are willing to share
their findings, regardless of profit.

Sam