POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granite_21 - the final macro : Re: Granite_21 - the final macro Server Time
17 Apr 2024 22:51:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 - the final macro
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 21 Sep 2021 22:00:00
Message: <web.614a8d3bb21f010c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I've got two things holding me back: my inability to parse
> mathematical formulas due to only being self-taught; and my inconsistent mental
> energy. Most people suffer from the latter, but it seems I am particularly
> affected by such fluctuations :S

I'm mostly self-taught as well.  Let me know what you need to know, and I'm
always happy to try to explain.

> I'm intrigued by that. What sorts of special properties does Nickle(II) oxide
> possess, I wonder?

"Exploring the interplay between electronic doping, magnetism, and Ni diffusion
in NiO from first principles."

NiO and NiO solid solutions are typically the first passivating oxides to form
during the corrosion of Ni-rich alloys. Ni diffusion from the alloy interface,
through the oxide, to the exposed surface is the rate-limiting kinetic process
for continued oxidation. From first principles, we calculate the effects of
magnetic order and electronic doping on the minimum energy diffusion pathways.
We elucidate the origin of the diffusion barrier dependencies by assessing
changes in the defect states and chemical bonding along the diffusion paths. Our
work highlights the complexity of diffusion in even structural simply but
strongly correlated oxides with practical recommendations for corrosion
resistance that may be transferable to diffusion-mediated redox processes in
energy storage materials.

> FFT=fast Fourier transform? What have you been using it for? (Sorry for being
> out of the loop, haha.)

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C58bfe702%241%40news.povray.org%3E/
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.58bd5ea376ca50b7c437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=435711
&toff=550

I haven't had much of a chance to really use it for anything.
It was suggested that I might be able to use it for my gear tooth counting
project:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C59371017%241%40news.povray.org%3E/
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C593bd19f%40news.povray.org%3E/

> And I'd hate to bother him to pick his brain, but I do know some people like to
> talk. Heck, maybe the creator of KrystalShaper would be willing to share the
> code he used to convert HKL indices to planes.

They are supported by millions of our tax dollars.  If he wants to answer your
email, he will.  If he doesn't, then you made a reasonable request, and you can
try elsewhere.  And really, he seemed very cool and happy to talk about his
research, and explain some of the basics that I was ignorant of.  Politely
asking for some expert assistance with one thing isn't really "bothering."

> Thanks again, and I will be looking into the matter further. I'm betting the
> conversions for various crystal symmetries are actually super easy to
> implement...

Probably.  Hopefully we'll find out.