POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch. : Re: Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch. Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:48:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch.
From: jr
Date: 19 Sep 2021 04:25:00
Message: <web.6146f33feea58d855e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Roughly a year ago I re-worked the wood pattern and implemented an
> inbuilt function called f_wood() ...
> The documentation text from functions.inc: ...
> Though aimed at creating wood patterns, the function can be used with
> any gradient of values.
>
> Eight parameters required:

thinking aloud about the simulation, and not having used 'f_wood()' yet, as user
I think I'd like one simple (wrapper) function/macro where, ideally, I'd only
provide an "age" (ie #rings) and some average "annual" growth value to obtain a
pattern, and maybe a rand seed.  (I guess all eight parameters will be needed
when "tuning" some aspect(s) of the render)

unrelated, but I've only found out about two _exciting_ Tcl extensions; thinking
that when 'povr'/POV-Ray compiles, the "library" of backend stuff which is
linked late in the process, I'm fairly certain, could be (mis-)used ;-) with
either of these:
<https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/Ffidl>
<https://cffi.magicsplat.com/>

regards, jr.