POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Luna, Moon... desert satellite : Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite Server Time
25 Apr 2024 02:00:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Sep 2021 14:55:00
Message: <web.614392dd756c3d5a4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >
> > I'm still trying to spot those flaws, but I don't see them :-/
>
> The issue of the craters not casting shadows is just that: if the object was
> using actual displaced geometry you would see shadows cast across the basins on
> the craters. But all you get on a simple bump-mapped sphere is shading... No
> displacement of geometry, no shadows.

Ah yes, I see what you mean at the terminator (I wasn't even paying attention to
shadowing there, duh.) Other than typical(?) behavior of a bump_map re: lack of
real geometry shadows occurring, my guess is that the raking Sun-light itself is
naturally more dim there-- so maybe any shadows (or even simple shading) from
the normals is being swamped illumination-wise by the effect of the dim
'ambient' light at the terminator, and/or your bloom effect.

I've honestly never given much thought to the exact effect that occurs when
light shines on a bump_mapped surface; it sort of 'looks' like shadowing from
actual geometry... enough to fool me, ha... but seems to be just simple shading,
as you point out.