POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Happy (?) 4th anniversary : Re: Happy (?) 4th anniversary Server Time
23 Apr 2024 09:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Happy (?) 4th anniversary
From: Samuel B
Date: 11 Sep 2021 19:05:00
Message: <web.613d3542e6d8c1bdcb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 9/8/2021 5:33 PM, Samuel B. wrote:
>

> > Even in California I can't recall ever having lost power for months at a time.
> > At most we've only been out for over a week due to the snow knocking down power
> > lines. (...)
>
> After Sandy, we were 17 days without power, 4 days until I could leave
> the neighborhood.
> I thought I was clever being one of a few with a whole house generator
> (now everybody has them).  Then I realized I was spending $50/day in
> gasoline; or $1500/month for electricity.

How were you locked in?

There was an incident close by a couple winters ago: a person was stuck inside
his home because of all the snow, but nobody knew. He was running out of
supplies. The power was out, so there was no possible way he could call for
help. (Phones don't often work like they used to... land lines are becoming
extinct.) Anyway this person was a single older gentleman, had no phone or
internet service, and as a result was truly at the mercy of the elements. (We
were nearby and didn't even know!) It finally took the man seeing the snow plow
drivers outside and flagging them down, and they almost didn't notice the him
then. He must have been there for days, maybe even a week. ':/

Back to your comment: yeah generators can be expensive. Especially when gas is
not cheap. Still, it might be worth running them conservatively to avoid
catastrophe...

Sam