POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Composite object in photo : Re: Composite object in photo Server Time
24 Apr 2024 09:51:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Composite object in photo
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Aug 2021 15:10:00
Message: <web.6127e690f317f20f4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Two points :
> 1)The shadows should be sharp close to the objects and fuzzy farther
> from them : Use an actual area_light instead of blurring the image of
> the shadows.

Yes, that's a much better idea; and I agree about the 'sharp to fuzzy' change; I
wasn't sure how to create that. An area_light is the solution, of course.

> 2) MUCH more importantly, your shadows don't diverge enough. The shadows
> seems to come from the light above the stove, but diverge as if that
> light was about three to four times farther...

Very true. I was lazy. :-(  And there are actually multiple light sources and
positions in the real photo, as you mention. I thought about trying to reproduce
those, but this was just a quick-and-dirty test, to confirm the general idea.

Strangely, I could not find a better personal photo to use, that would clearly
show this shadowing trick. But I'll probably find a dozen better ones tonight
;-[