POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Composite object in photo : Re: Composite object in photo Server Time
23 Apr 2024 20:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Composite object in photo
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 23 Aug 2021 13:55:00
Message: <web.6123e099f317f20f1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> Just playing around trying to add a Pov CSG object (the tripod) into a photo.

Very cool!  :)

> Then I found someone who (can't recall who) mentioned using no_object to create
> a scene with just the shadows which I could then merge (using code from Robert's
> method) to render combine the shadow and image data.

Thanks for the reminder - I ​had a no_shadow method you might be
interested in too:
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C6090c6ac%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=434002

> I really have no idea what I am doing here but it seemed to work better than
> expected. I could probably improve it by adding steps to my shadow scene so the
> shadow raises but I would then have to lift up one of the Tripod legs as they
> are currently all at the same level and as the Tripod is a CSG model that would
> be a lot more effort than I have time for.

"by adding steps to my shadow scene so the shadow raises"...?

You mean so that you get self-shadowing of the legs?

Can you just add some sort of shell of the legs (scale 1.0001) over the actual
legs and use a y gradient between rgb shadowVal and rgbt1 to fake the
self-shadowing?

Or maybe just shift the actual leg geometry a bit toward the camera and use the
same pigment gradient as a shadow overlay.

Or something like that..