POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : `datetime(now)` issue - suggestions for a solution : Re: `datetime(now)` issue - suggestions for a solution Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:12:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: `datetime(now)` issue - suggestions for a solution
From: jr
Date: 9 Aug 2021 06:55:00
Message: <web.611107f596b91fd35e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Am 09.08.2021 um 09:07 schrieb jr:
> > hi,
> >
> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >> We have established that the `datetime(now)` combo is both currently
> >> broken (on some systems), and has some shortcomings in its design (on
> >> all systems, both broken and otherwise).
> >>

> >> I think the key issues in finding any satisfactory solution are the
> >> following:
> >
> > could make a "fine" setting for 'povray.conf', eg:
> >
> >    [timezone]
> >    ; local
> >    utc
>
> I disagree.

I do too, now.  :-)

> `povray.conf` is there to tie the *NIX front-end(!) of your POV-Ray
> installation in to your *NIX run-time environment, and nothing more.
> Mainly to let the binary know where to find its auxiliary files
> (includes, primarily), and what directories never to access even if a
> scene says pretty please with a cherry on top.

a better suggestion would have been:

  [locale]
  tz = {local|utc}
  lang = en_GB.utf8

as you say, conf provides environment type info.  given that 'strftime()' uses
locale, a setting to provide a preference/default could be useful.  (POV-Ray
appears to use the locale already, anyway)

> There's also no such file in POV-Ray for Windows; such information is
> handled entirely differently there.

ok, did not know that.

> Also, it is definitely a setting that individual scenes should be able
> to override. ...

sure, thought setting a convenient default, and override in 'datetime()'s second
arg, if required.

regards, jr.