POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moving indoors : Re: Moving indoors Server Time
16 Apr 2024 00:44:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moving indoors
From: Chris R
Date: 6 Aug 2021 09:20:00
Message: <web.610d36267919aade6fb991d75cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
> Am 05.08.2021 um 22:43 schrieb Chris R:
>
> > The pool table is a bit too shiny, but I like the reflection of the store across
> > the street.
>
> It looks to me like you're not using `fresnel`.
>
> You should. It's more realistic, and it should also mute the reflections
> on the wood we're seeing head-on, while at the same time preserving the
> reflections on the wood we're seeing at a shallow angle.
>
> In real life, Fresnelian reflection applies not only to transparent
> materials, but also to opaque ones (except metals - or, more
> technically, non-dielectrics - which behave somewhat different). And
> yes, such opaque materials also have an index of refraction. If you're
> unsure about the applicable value, 1.5 works reasonably well for most
> situations. The IOR of most opaque materials lies somewhere between 1.4
> and 1.6.
>
> The same goes for the pool balls, which also look unnatural to me now
> that I've spent more time looking at them. The reflections on them
> should also appear more muted where we're seeing the surface head-on, as
> opposed to at an angle.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I have only used fresnel on transparent
surfaces before, and probably only because I copied a standard material or one
from an example.  (The window doesn't have it turned on either, because I am
just using M_Glass from textures.inc).  I'll try that out.

-- Chris R.