POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:11:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1
From: jr
Date: 16 Jul 2021 07:50:00
Message: <web.60f17163b74fb8af5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Am 15.07.2021 um 16:14 schrieb jr:
>
> >> Can you please file an issue report on GitHub, to put a propoer pin in this?
> >
> > went there, cannot add an "issue" without acquiring an account.  sorry.
>
> I'd argue that it's worth it, given that it's free of charge. It may not
> be the last issue you might want to report.

I'm sure that people like you, self-confessed "Windows jockeys" that is, find
the  environment .. conducive to your working.  a bit like Linux distributions,
some people find Ubuntu/Debian "floats their boat".

fwiw, the 'github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tags' page would benefit from showing
checksums (sha256?) for the archives, too.

> GitHub _is_ our preferred place for bug reports these days.

sure.  (though regrettable from my perspective)  as long as no account is needed
to download the source archive.

> And we're by far not the only ones. There is an ever growing number of
> other pieces of open source software ...

the "not the only ones" argument reminds me of an old saying "people, eat more
shit, four billion flies can't be wrong".  fifteen or twenty years ago,
SourceForge was the place to be (seen) on, maybe github will do better, who
knows?

regards, jr.