POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Requesting a more comprehensive text {} usage tutorial - utf8, ALT-####, et= : Requesting a more comprehensive text {} usage tutorial - utf8, ALT-####, et= Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Requesting a more comprehensive text {} usage tutorial - utf8, ALT-####, et=
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Jul 2021 16:00:00
Message: <web.60e4b5e450dc9dec1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
I have taken a look at Friedrich Lohmueller's examples for using utf8
characters, however I am having a hard time understanding exactly how all of the
font/typeface files are structured and how to induce POV-Ray to render the
desired glyphs.

Take for example:
https://machinistguides.com/free-geometric-dimensioning-and-tolerancing-font-gdt-keyboard-shortcuts/

I have tried using "\u25B1" and similar hexadecimal values to try to display the
symbols.   All I get is that "default unprintable character" box glyph .

I'm not sure about the ALT-#### characters - maybe those are "extended ACII" an
I just use chr (####)?   But I still the "The Box".

Linux font viewer shows me the usual Quick Brown Fox stuff, and "Character Map"
shows me a gazillion symbols all the way up to "U+10FFFF"

But I have no idea how to decipher a way to display them.

Also, when using
global_settings {charset utf8 assumed_gamma 1.0}
I get:
Parse Warning: Encountered 'charset' global setting. As of POV-Ray v3.8, this
mechanism of specifying character encoding is no longer supported, and future
versions may treat the presence of the setting as an error.

So, if anyone has any information on what I ought to be doing, that would be
great   :)

Thanks.