POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Finish block dispersion handling. v3.8 (and v3.7). : Re: Finish block dispersion handling. v3.8 (and v3.7). Server Time
19 Apr 2024 06:51:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finish block dispersion handling. v3.8 (and v3.7).
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Jul 2021 09:15:00
Message: <web.60e3059be6d4fedfd98418916e066e29@news.povray.org>
> Am 05.07.2021 um 14:25 schrieb Kenneth:
>
> > 1) Using ONLY dispersion and dispersion_samples in a finish{}block, PLUS an
> > interior{ior} block:
> >
> > Possible Parse Error: Unmatched {
> > Parse Error: No matching }, dispersion found instead
> >
> > [This warning message makes no sense, IMO]
>
> It does, because `dispersion` does not belong in `finish`, and never did.

Hmm. It would be nicer for us plebeians if the message said, "The dispersion
keyword is not allowed in a finish block. Use it in an interior block instead."

Basic yet informative! :-)  Those "Unmatched brackets..." warnings seem to be
'generic' at times IIRC, causing me to scratch my head in wonder.

> Using `ior` in `finish` _was_ valid official syntax at some point, and
> you only get a warning for it. Using `dispersion` alongside of it has
> _never_ been valid in `finish`, and you get an error for even trying.

Aha! My methodology was wrong. Thanks.