POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Facebook 3D posts : Re: Facebook 3D posts Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:01:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Facebook 3D posts
From: BayashiPascal
Date: 26 Jun 2021 22:00:00
Message: <web.60d7db9293de9b14a3e088d5e0f8c582@news.povray.org>
> "BayashiPascal" <bai### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > This field is called 'photogrammetry' ... and it's a rabbit hole, I warn you (I
> > work on it every day) !!
>
> Have you implemented any of that work in POV-Ray?  I think even some of the
> basics would encourage others to learn more about this intriguing field!

I did, but not in POV-Ray. POV-Ray is a rendering tool, it takes as input a
representation of a 3D scene and output a 2D image. Photogrammetry does the
opposite, it takes 2D image(s) as input and outputs a representation of the
corresponding 3D scene. So, I don't see how one could implements photogrammetry
in POV-Ray, they serve both two opposite purposes.

In this thread, Mike Horvath was initially speaking about how to create depth
image using POV-Ray. The depth image is the input of the photogrammetry
algorithm used in Facebook, which would otherwise be acquired using a 3D scanner
for example. This depth image can be generated as described in the link I gave
earlier. But this is really just about generating an input for a certain type of
photogrammetry algorithm, not about performing photogrammetry itself.

Let me know if I misunderstand your question, I'll be happy to correct my reply.

Pascal