POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An experiment in monochrome : Re: An experiment in monochrome Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:51:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An experiment in monochrome
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Jun 2021 14:40:00
Message: <web.60c25b8c23b82ed51f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> Please note that most of the credit for the Vector analysis macros should go to
> Christoph Hormann, which did the heavy lifting. I just suggested some
> corrections.

So noted!  He did an excellent job, especially that clever bit about employing
f_r - which took me a bit of time to wrap my head around.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/448/
f_r(x,y,z) = sqrt( x*x + y*y + z*z )
When used alone, the "R" function gives a surface that consists of all the
points that are a specific distance (threshold value) from the origin, i.e. a
sphere.

> Btw.:
> I agree with you; it may be that experimenting with pigment maps will be
> rewarding here.

Indeed.  I think he could get some interesting half-tone effects as well.

rgbf would look great if unmodified spheres of all 3 colors were used.

There's also the potential for using different shapes - boxes, triangles,
hexagons, etc.  I'm also thinking that using cones would give a Voronoi effect.