POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1.2 : Re: Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1.2 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dakota Red Granite macro - beta #1.2
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 May 2021 06:25:00
Message: <web.60ab7e4cc1167ed21f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> Right. I was sure I would get this comment! ;-)
> I was lazy of course and pushed it forwards.

Sometimes it's best to just push it back out into the wild.

> > But maybe to alert the user to the fact that they may have inadvertently left
> > out a parameter or used a misspelling/typo, issue a warning in the #ifndef
> > block.
> >
> Hmm... yes, that might be smart. I need to think about this a bit.

> The following, I want to comment on separately. Needs more thoughts.
>
> In the meantime, I am also working on a working sslt set... Not so easy!
> For instance, a layered texture (veins!) makes sslt go bad.

I went looking for sslt scene code, and that rotating pyramid again...
and got sidetracked.

Here's some granite with HDR lighting and radiosity.
I noticed that I probably didn't scale the texture properly, and so I can't
really see any of the veins.  In my readings, clipka mentioned that having the
mm_per_unit setting was there to decouple the texture from POV-units and so be
independent of scaling effects.  We might want to do similar with a
default-if-not-supplied, and a debug/warning message saying what it got set to.

I think that sometimes it is a bit slow to render - depending on how the scene
is set up.   Maybe have some quick-color definitions set up.  For ridiculously
high quality, I'm guessing we'd want some switchable reflection built in as well
for the same not0 reasons.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'dakotaredradiosity.png' (3990 KB)

Preview of image 'dakotaredradiosity.png'
dakotaredradiosity.png