POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Running pov 3.1 on windows 10 : Re: Running pov 3.1 on windows 10 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 20:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running pov 3.1 on windows 10
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 17 May 2021 20:15:00
Message: <web.60a3068546def6238e52cc8789db30a9@news.povray.org>
srh <the### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I have pov 3.6 and 3.7 running on windows 10.  I tried installing pov 3.1, but it
will not render - it just becomes u
nresponsive.  Is 3.1 just not compatible with windows 10 or is there some setting that
needs adjusting?  Any info on th
is will be appreciated.

You could run Ubuntu 20.04 LTS in a virtual machine, install Wine in it and then
use it to install POV-Ray v3.1g, v3.5 and/or v3.7.

v3.1g and v3.5 seem to run fine in Wine. There are some problems with rendering
of the user interface in v3.7 but apart from that it seems to work ok.
(Maximizing or rescaling the POV-Ray window sometimes fixes the user interface.

Its the irony of fate that old versions of Windows programs now runs better in
newer versions of Linux than in newer versions of Windows.

After installation the POV-Ray versions become available under Wine in the start
menu.

I've attached a screenshot of those 3 POV-Ray versions running in Wine on my
Lubuntu desktop.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'three versions of pov-ray running in wine.png' (2066 KB)

Preview of image 'three versions of pov-ray running in wine.png'
three versions of pov-ray running in wine.png